Hi Neil,

Since the configure process is executed in the front end which is a Linux system, configure naturally thinks it is working in a Linux system, therefore it goes to the Linux configure settings. I think the right solution is to tell configure to build for a cross-compiling Cray system. This will take some effort and won't
be available in the pending release v1.8.11.  We are planning to provide it
in the next release.

-Albert Cheng
The HDF Group