Hi, Roel!

  Thanks for your reply. I hope someone can write an easy-to-use GUI
tool like MS Excel for HDF data array manipulation you described in
near future.

  If you're not limited to GUI tool, I think script-language tool like
NCL (free) IDL/MATLAB (commercial) can do the array manipulation you
described.

  For example, you can easily read & subset HDF5 array [1], reshape
the array [2], and save it [3] in NetCDF-4 (which is HDF5 under the
hood)  in NCL.  The only drawback of NCL compared to IDL/MATLAB is
that it doesn't run on Windows but it supports Cygwin so you may want
to try it.

[1] http://hdfeos.org/zoo/NSIDC/GLAH13_633_2103_001_1317_0_01_0001.h5.ncl
[2]
http://hdfeos.org/zoo/LaRC/MISR_AM1_GRP_ELLIPSOID_GM_P117_O058421_BA_F03_0024_Blue_Radiance_RDQI.ncl