From: Hdf-forum [mailto:hdf-forum-boun...@hdfgroup.org] On Behalf Of H. Joe Lee
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 20:33
To: HDF Users Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hdf-forum] Tools to edit hdf5 files?

Hi, Roel!

  Thanks for your reply. I hope someone can write an easy-to-use GUI tool like
MS Excel for HDF data array manipulation you described in near future.

  If you're not limited to GUI tool, I think script-language tool like NCL
(free) IDL/MATLAB (commercial) can do the array manipulation you described.

  For example, you can easily read & subset HDF5 array [1], reshape the array
[2], and save it [3] in NetCDF-4 (which is HDF5 under the
hood)  in NCL.  The only drawback of NCL compared to IDL/MATLAB is that it
doesn't run on Windows but it supports Cygwin so you may want to try it.

[1] http://hdfeos.org/zoo/NSIDC/GLAH13_633_2103_001_1317_0_01_0001.h5.ncl
[2]
http://hdfeos.org/zoo/LaRC/MISR_AM1_GRP_ELLIPSOID_GM_P117_O058421_BA_F03_0024_Blue_Radiance_RDQI.ncl
[3] http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/netcdf4.shtml