William Immendorf wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Bryan Kadzban
>> Which library wasn't found?  Where did the various files involved go,
>> when they were put into the cpio archive?
> /lib64/libreadline.so.6, when Bash was executed. This caused a stack
> trace and a kernel panic because the kernel can't find the RootFS.

Inside the initramfs?

Why is your linker looking in /lib64 when ldd reported it found the
library in /lib?  (Assuming that's what happened.  The actual directory
tree that got generated would be way more useful...)

If what I think is the problem is actually the problem, then I think the
pure64 setup is broken.  But it depends on what ldd actually said, and
where various files got put.

>>> The way to fix this is to first check if /lib64 is a symlink, or if
>>> it is a directory, and behave appropriately.
>> What's "appropriately" in this context?  I don't think it's doing
>> anything wrong, but please explain what it should be doing.  :-)
> Something like this:
>
> {{{
>    if [ -h /lib64 ]; then
>         # Create /lib64 as a symlink to /lib (Pure64)
>    elif [ -d /lib64 ]; then
>         # Create /lib64 as a directory (Multilib)
>    fi
> }}}

Yes, obviously.  But what do you want me to do in the place of the
comments?  That's the part where because I don't understand what's
wrong, I don't know what to do.

>> If you can reproduce the error at this point (after udev has started, in
>> a manual run), what's in /dev compared to /etc/fstab for the rootfs?
> I'll try this setup again. What I'll do is I'll use LFS 6.8 with
> kernel 2.6.38.2 (or greater minor version number), with the grsecurity
> patch,

Eh?  Why complicate things?

> and see how it goes. If I run into that error, I'll be sure to
> use init=/bin/bash at the GRUB menu, and report what I find.

Please do.