Is there a known way to fix timescale changing entities (env_slomo,
asw_weapon_stim, asw_marine deathcam) causing recorded demos to stutter a
lot?

What appears to be happening is interpolation not understanding timescales.
If I play the demo using the timedemo command, interpolation is disabled
and the animations stutter a lot less (but they aren't interpolated, so
it's not ideal). cl_extrapolate seems to have no effect on the stuttering.

Is this something I can fix in my mod or is it an unavoidable bug in the
engine?

Thanks,
Ben Lubar