On 31/08/2010 16:00, Ben Mendis wrote:
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Craig H<robolea...@gmail.com>  wrote:

In actual response to the original question, Ubuntu is fine, I find it a
lot
easier to use than a lot of other distributions. As for your question about
x86 or x64, if your box can run the 64-bit version there really isn't much
of a reason not to.

There really isn't much of a reason to run x64 either. An x86 kernel with
PAE can address all the RAM your motherboard can support anyways. Also, HLDS
is only x86, so it's not going to take advantage of x64 anyways.

PAE forces the kernel to jump through hoops to access memory, whereas x64 does not - this can waste valuable CPU cycles if you actually want to use the extra memory. While srcds is indeed 32-bit only, if you launch more than one instance of srcds then the kernel can easily fit the whole process memory spaces in the TLB without having to fiddle around with cache/TLB misses and flushes.

I'd go do far as to recommend running an x64 kernel even if you desperately want a 32-bit userspace, there's no reason not to. Debian makes this particularly simple, and thus so does Ubuntu.

I run 12+ instances of various source dedicated servers (L4D, L4D2 and TF2) on my server with a stock 64-bit Debian kernel, and it runs great.

HTH,
Chris