From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Molina
[je...@opendreams.net]
Sent: 25 July 2011 05:15
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] cpu on i7 920

I have a AMD Phenom x6 1055T doing multiple servers at the same time.
TF2 causes the active core to go to 100% for about two seconds during
map changes, but otherwise I've never seen it go that high for extended
periods of time.  Average during full 24-player usage is about 40%.

I also have an older AMD Athlon64 x2 4600+ that runs a single 24-player
TF2 quickplay server.  It averages 70% usage when full and gameplay is
great.

Both of these are desktop class boards with DDR2 PC800M RAM.  Linux 2.6.39.

Try watching your CPU usage at (relatively) high resolution with
something like "htop -d 1"

No clue why you are maxing out like that.

Eric Riemers wrote:
> All,
>
> I run a 32 slots server on a i7 920 @ 2.67ghz, but i can see with top and
> such that its potentially maxing out at 100% at times since it only uses one
> core.
> Is it really now doing so much cpu that even a i7 core isn't enough? Didn't
> have much complaints before the pew pew.
>
> 24 slots on the same server do around 60% when full.
>
> Eric

# Jesse Molina
# Mail = je...@opendreams.net
# Page = page-je...@opendreams.net