OK, I can confirm that rcon works now with the updated -ip flag.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of ics
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:04 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] L4D2 - unable to rcon

So your system works ok if you just use the -ip flag on command line.
Problem mostly solved then.

Those patches are really not up to me anyway. I don't have long enough
beard for that job but i'm sure Valve got the hint as Milton is reading
the list.

-ics

27.9.2011 20:42, Brian Menges kirjoitti:
> OK, removing local reference is absolutely not an option; this
> fundamentally breaks Debian OSes in many other areas. Hosts must have
> a localhost reference for 127.0.0.1 and should have a hostname
> reference for 127.0.1.1; as it should be for Debian.
>
> Your theory is indeed correct - however removing that line isn't the
> fix... this is a bug but a fix is present:
>
> Intel server
> :~$ netstat -na | grep 27015
> tcp        0      0 127.0.1.1:27015     0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> udp       0      0 0.0.0.0:27015         0.0.0.0:*
>
> AMD server
> :~$ netstat -na | grep 27015
> tcp        0      0 216.93.189.28:27015     0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> udp        0      0 216.93.189.28:27015     0.0.0.0:*
>
> The difference between the systems was ultimately hinged on the start
> line. The AMD server required the -ip flag because it has multiple IPs
> allocated to it, however my Intel system didn't have multiple IPs,
> thus removed the flag. This resulted in a local hostname bind instead
> of a public interface bind (bug).  After adding the -ip flag, the
> binding appears to be correct now:
>
> :~$ netstat -na | grep 27015
> tcp        0      0 74.3.239.226:27015      0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> udp        0      0 74.3.239.226:27015      0.0.0.0:*
>
> Thanks for that catch... it didn't occur to me that the server would
> bind the tcp port to an IP where it shouldn't have.  I would have
> thought that if the UDP port bound to global (0.0.0.0), that the TCP
> port would have done the same; this should be patched.
>
> Can this minor flaw be submitted for patch ICS?
>
> ~Brian
>

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 09:37, Milton Ngan<mil...@valvesoftware.com>
wrote:
>> I have seen an issue on Ubuntu where the /etc/hosts files contains a line
like this:

>> 127.0.1.1       myhostname.valve.net    myhostname
>>
>> On machines that have this, the rcon is limited to listening on the
loopback (127.0.0.1) only. Removing this line from the hosts file correct
the problem. I am sure there is a better way of doing it by specifying an
explicit IP on the command line or something, but I haven't investigated it.
I guess if you don't specify the IP to listen on, then it does a name look
up of your hostname for the IP. In this case it chooses the loopback address
so you can't talk to it outside of the local machine.