There are (currently) 4 slots reserved for spectators.

Yet there are 6 players on my server, and cannot connect as a spectator. Also can't change sv_visiblemaxplayers to 10, without it being forced to 6. Can you elaborate on how to allow up to 4 spectators to join if visiblemaxplayers is locked at 6?

Eric G. Wolfe
Senior Linux Administrator

On 08/21/2012 04:19 PM, Fletcher Dunn wrote:

There are (currently) 4 slots reserved for spectators.  The game currently
never spawns more than 22 bots at a time.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of doc
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:00 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] MvM server browser player counts and improtant note
regarding replay

Wait you can have spectators in MvM? I was under the impression 26 slots needed
to be free for bot generation.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Fletcher Dunn <fletch...@valvesoftware.com
wrote:
We made some changes in today's update to make MvM player counts in
the server browser make as much sense as possible within the current framework.

Here's how it works:

Bots should do not show at all in any client-visible way.  (Although,
they still show in the "status" output.)

sv_maxvisibleplayers is slammed to 6 + {number of spectators}.

In this scheme, your server appears to have space if a player can join
and play on the defending team, it appears to be full if this is not the case.
  The existing server browser framework does not make it
straightforward to clients connected as spectator from the player
count.  This logic was the best compromise.

One final note: We discovered a small problem with today's update.  If
you have replay enabled, the above logic will think replay is a
"spectator" and your server will show 7 max players.  We'll fix this in an
upcoming update.

- Fletch