So to make a very long story very short...

I did a clean install of OP4, installed amx, and it worked. At this point I had one server with metamod/amx that works, one that doesn't. Now it's just a simple job to compare A to B to find out what is different.

Eventually I found the steamclient.so on my production server was different from the one on my test server. No idea why. So I copied the one from my working test server to my production server. Start production server. And my production server magically started working.

So now all four of my production servers at back and running, amx works, my other plugins work, and life is good again.

Where did that bad steamclient.so come from? Did Valve roll out a botched update, and have since fixed it? That gets my vote. If not then the client update somehow did not update steamclient.so. Or maybe I just screwed something - like that's never happened before.