Isn't /tmp normally chmod 777? Anyone should be able to write to it. In this case, it should be able to create /tmp/dumps (if someone else doesn't already own it), and then write to it. It's possible the message is a canned message and something else is wrong. Like the maybe the devs just assumed you would use root to install it? If I had time (I don't tonight, sorry), I would give it a shot myself to see if maybe it's weirdly distro related. What is your steamcmd command line(s)?