No worries.  Thanks for the reply and ideas! ("thoughts and prayers"?).

I'm just going to abandon the idea of using more than one linux user to run
it under.
That's the easiest path forward right now.

Glad I don't have to run processes like that for work in a "secure"
environment!
The SecOps folks would be like: "What do you mean you can't specify exactly
what ports and paths the process uses?"
:-)