>2) persistent connections off: we perform a GET call and if the document
>is not what we want we simply close the connection (we anticipate it).

When persitent_connections is off,  we do a GET and see a MIME type we
don't like we just close the connection.  Isn't this just a tad bit 'ugly'
and possibly abusive to the webserver?  At a minimum it wastes the
webservers time starting the GET only to have the connection closed
prematurely.  It will definetely waste some processor time on the server
buffering up the data to send as the server CPU is much faster than the
latency of the network connection.  We are also causing potential
server memory allocation churn which would affect SWAP on a highly loaded
webserver.

> I can think of this possible solution. The scenario above is still valid
> (IMHO) for the initial dig case; I would modify it for the incremental dig
> as mentioned yesterday, as follows:
>
> if "persistent_connections" (on a server basis) is set to on:
>          enable persistent connections
> else
>          disable them
>
> if incremental or ("head_before_get" and "persistent_connections" are both
> set to on)  - I have to modify yesterday's patch a bit
>          enable head before get
> else
>          disable head before get

OK.. just to be absolutely clear.. if we can design logic that will
optimally set head_before_get automatically based upon that state of
persistent_connections, what is the reason for keeping it around as a
 user-configurable setting?

It seems like it's to our advantage to always do a HEAD call, unless it's
an initial dig, where it is wastefull...  and that the state of
persitent_connections is irrelevant to this decision.

If this is not the case please reply with a clear example situation where
we have some advantage to NOT setting head_before_get automatically.

I don't have a problem keeping head_before_get, as long as we make the
default TRUE.

Thanks!

Neal Richter
Knowledgebase Developer