I think what we've had here is informative debate.  You as much as
anyone else wrote the networking code, so for me it's your decision.  I
think the new TRUE default is fine.

OK. Any other opinions?

  If you've perfected this logic in ht://Check, then we should probably
consider syncing with your net code after 3.2 is done.

So ... is it ok for you guys if I go on with the Retriever, Document and HtHTTP patch as suggested in the previous e-mails?

Basically, in order to perform always a HEAD call during an incremental indexing, I need to store the information in both the Retriever and Document class. Is that right for you? In particular, I suggest this enum:

        enum  RetrieverType {
                Retriever_Initial,
                Retriever_Incremental
        };

and then change the constructor this way:

Retriever(RetrieverLog flags = Retriever_noLog, RetrieverType t = Retriever_Initial);

In 'htdig.cc', we check whether the dig is an initial dig or not and:

        if(!initial) // Switch the retriever type to Incremental
                retriever_type = Retriever_Incremental;

therefore, when we instantiate the main retriever object, we just simply add this:

Retriever retriever(Retriever_logUrl, retriever_type);

Please let me know.

Ciao and thanks,
-Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, ht://Dig & IWA/HWG Member, ht://Check maintainer
Current Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia