On Tuesday 19 August 2003 5:04, David Dawes wrote:
> Or maybe all of the xkb config files can go to a new location outside
> of xc/programs/xkbcomp.  Once there is a good proposal for a more
> consistent and logical structure for all of these files, they can be
> moved.  That way we don't need to be constrained by these CVS limitations.

The problem might also occur when installing XFree onto a filesystem that
doesn't differentiate between upper- and lower-case.

BTW, what did you think of my proposal for these files?

Frank
The files in this directory describe possible layouts for a given keyboard. The names
of the files are referenced in the X server configuration and in user configuration
tools. These files should be named as follows:

Files describing a keyboard from a national perspective must use the 2-letter ISO
3166-1-alpha-2 code element for the nation as the filename. (e.g. the file 'gb'
contains the keymap for Great Britain.) Applications may want to use the national flag
to distinguish keymaps following this convention.

These codes can be found a the following address:

http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html

Files describing a keyboard from a language perspective must use the 3-letter ISO
639-2B bibliographic code for the language as the filename. (22 languages, including
Greek, have two 639-2 code elements, a bibliographic and a terminology code. The
bibliographic code is "guaranteed" not to change.) (e.g. the file 'ben' contains the
keymap for Bengali.) Applications must NOT use a national flag to distinguish keymaps
following this convention.

These codes can be found a the following address:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html

Keymaps that vary from the default keymap should be added to that file, not put into a
separate file. The keymap will be referenced as filename(alt_keymap) (e.g.
se(nodeadkeys) for Sweden). There are current;y files that use the underscore '_' key
to separate different layouts. This usage is deprecated. The default layout for each
keyboard must describe a keyboard based on the symbols printed on the keys. Secondary
keymaps can describe differences that are preferred, but not necessarily printed on
the keys (e.g. preferring that dead keys actually print the symbol printed on the key).

Keymaps that don't fit into this model should be given filenames that are 4 letters or
longer.

In the files, the description of the name[Group1] should be the name of the nation or
language (as appropriate) in 7-bit English. For keymaps with filename of 4-letters or
longer should have the description of the name[Group1] be a description of the keymap
in 7-bit English.

The default layout for each keyboard must describe a keyboard based on the symbols
printed on the keys. Secondary keymaps can describe differences that are preferred,
but not necessarily printed on the keys (e.g. preferring that Caps Lock and Control
are switched).