Le sam 16/08/2003 à 19:34, Frank Murphy a écrit :
> On Thursday 14 August 2003 11:02, Danilo Segan wrote:
> > "fr" file governs keymaps for the French language, and it's sane (I
> > already mentioned that there are other criteria, like population -- the
> > criterium of "language origin" is just a sample one, for the sake of
> > discussion) to have a "default" behaviour when loading a keymap for
> > French *language* -- whether the default keymap would be Canadian or
> > French is not directly relevant in this discussion -- it depends on the
> > motives one has when defining a default.
>
> Actually, the current fr file describes the keymaps for the keyboard produced
> for France. But the file fr-latin9 describes a more general keymap for the
> French language.

Actually fr is the original french layout that matches what someone at
some time thought was the french standard, and fr-latin9 a non-standard
variation that evolved in the wild for years (because fr is very
inadequate for serious use) before I snatched it and got it committed
(with a very close variant in kbd).

fr is "clean" and "standard" but some people hate it.
fr-latin9 has some warts but makes some very necessary glyphs easier to
type and therefore has some following.

The language would probably bet a big boost if all countries that use it
could get together and agree on a modern layout but don't count on it
any time soon.

[ another problem of course is most proponents of multiple language
groups see it as a way to switch between "something" and qwerty, which
fails miserably when the pivot layout is some other form of latin like
azerty ]

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot