Le jeu 14/08/2003 à 17:35, Frank Murphy a écrit :
> > > Sorry, I meant shift levels. my proposed us-ascii would have just
> > >
> > > key <AE01> { [         1,    exclam          ] };
> > >
> > > not
> > >
> > > key <AE01>  { [         1,     exclam,  onesuperior,   exclamdown ] };
> >
> > I'd go for:
> >
> > key <AE01>  { [         1,     exclam,  any,   any ] };
> >
> > (I'm not sure if your idea would work like this -- if it would,
> > then this is unneccessary burden).
>
> It's already done with only two levels in the pc/us keymap. I don't see a
> reason to add the 'any's. The point was to move the generic us layout from
> pc/us to pc/latin so that sun/, sgi/, etc could include them without getting
> any PC-keyboard-specific baggage (like function keys or whatever).
>
> > > Using a German keymap doesn't prohibit you from typing in English.
> > > However, if you own a keyboard made for Switzerland, but you set
> > > the keymap to be German (the dominant language here), you won't be
> > > able to type the characters on your keyboard -- like finding
> > > the @. Besides novices won't be setting this, the administrator will.
> >
> > The thing I wanted to point out that if someone was offered with a
> > choice that read "Germany" (implying a country name) instead of
> > "German", it'll be easy to mistake it for "enter your current location".
> >
> > It's a sort of "Great Britain" for the english layout -- would you ever
> > look for that if you needed english layout?
> >
> > OTOH, when it says "German" there are no doubts, even if you're right
> > now sitting in a hotel in Germany wishing to type in English ;-)
>
> The problem is that there is no English-language keyboard layout, nor is there
> a German-language layout. There are different layouts for Britian, Ireland,
> Canada, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. So saying German or
> French or English does leave doubts:  is this a keyboard from France or does
> this keyboard allow me to type the French language?

The problem is - most users wouldn't care less if there was a single
clean layout per language or group of languages (we wouldn't be in this
mess for example if there was a single latin layout and countries hadn't
had to invent variations on a common core to accommodate the glyphs
qwerty forgot). However these variations do exist, the hardware sold in
each country do reflect them and people get annoyed when the system and
the keyboard manufacturer disagree on key meanings.

The per-country optimisations are largely bogus - typewriter leftovers
weight much more than what one could win by taking into account one
glyph is used marginally more in a country than in its neighbours (and
moreover all language usages have changed a bit since layouts have been
finalised)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot