On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:16:56PM +0200, Frank Murphy wrote:

>Also, it is currently possible for naïve users to type Latin1 characters. By
>using Multi_key (mapped to right Windows-logo by default on Debian, at
>least). I think that this is handled through the widget library on the client
>side, but I don't know for sure. Multi_key+, followed by c generates ç, and
>that methodology would need to be taught.

This is handled by the compose input method.

>A question I have to ask Branden Robinson is why he asked David Dawes to
>remove the latin1 key symbols from the macintosh/us keymap. (Supposedly, it's
>got #5386, but I don't know in what system!)

Here is the text associated with that patch:

  There is a lot of stuff in this file that doesn't make sense for a
  symbols file that calls itself "us" -- a lot of engravings that just
  plain aren't on US Macintosh keyboards.

  Whatever country uses those extra engravings needs its own file in the
  symbols/macintosh directory.  To that end I have retained the old stuff
  in a big comment block at the end.

>> And use AE00 instead of TLDE...
>
>I know that TLDE is not always to the left of the 1, but is the keycode always
>the same?

I think it is always the same, which is probably why it is called "TLDE".

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project