On Wednesday 20 August 2003 8:16, David Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:16:56PM +0200, Frank Murphy wrote:
> >Also, it is currently possible for naïve users to type Latin1 characters.
> > By using Multi_key (mapped to right Windows-logo by default on Debian, at
> > least). I think that this is handled through the widget library on the
> > client side, but I don't know for sure. Multi_key+, followed by c
> > generates ç, and that methodology would need to be taught.
>
> This is handled by the compose input method.

BTW, where is the compose input method defined? In the code or can it be
overridden?

> >A question I have to ask Branden Robinson is why he asked David Dawes to
> >remove the latin1 key symbols from the macintosh/us keymap. (Supposedly,
> > it's got #5386, but I don't know in what system!)
>
> Here is the text associated with that patch:
>
>   There is a lot of stuff in this file that doesn't make sense for a
>   symbols file that calls itself "us" -- a lot of engravings that just
>   plain aren't on US Macintosh keyboards.
>
>   Whatever country uses those extra engravings needs its own file in the
>   symbols/macintosh directory.  To that end I have retained the old stuff
>   in a big comment block at the end.

That seems wierd. The compose stuff above isn't engraved on the keyboards
either. It would seem that just not setting a key to do Mode_switch would
also hide this from a normal user, but one who wanted to could just define a
Mode_switch key and be able to use all these symbols. Hmm...

Frank