Maybe an occasional abend might be worth doing.  But it smacks of poor
design when "oops.. I didn't really test this.. so I'll just abend"
methodology takes over.  With all the I think the term is xtreme
programming where testing is built into the program from the bottom up,
that abending to handle a data issue seems overkill.  Granted if all the
data is exception... but then I go back to not really testing it.

On 15 Sep 2009 07:55:25 -0700, rob.schr...@siriuscom.com (Rob Schramm)
wrote:

>I always thought that abending a cobol program was a lame duck method.
>Bringing that practice into JAVA seems equally lame duck.  Handle the
dang
>issue or put the offending records off into an exception file and get on
>about processing.  Set a code... send an e-mail.

"Always" seems to be a bit extreme.   I believe this technique needs
to be used a lot more, but do we always want to get on with
processing?