We're using Control-M for job scheduling.
We recently had to add some steps to (the end of) an existing job.

Before that, Control-M should restart the job on the *first* job step in
any
case, so the schedule definition looked like this:

! ON PGMST ANYSTEP  PROCST          CODES EXERR
A/O   * !
!   DO IFRERUN   FROM $FIRST   .          TO          .
CONFIRM Y !
!   DO
!
! ON PGMST ANYSTEP  PROCST          CODES *****
A/O   * !
!   DO SYSOUT    OPT C PRM E
FRM R !
!   DO SYSOUT    OPT R PRM
FRM   !
!   DO
!

Now, for the additional steps, a restart is to be done on specific steps

depending on the step that had troubles. The changed scheduling
definition looks
like this:

! ON PGMST ANYSTEP  PROCST          CODES EXERR
A/O   * !
!   DO IFRERUN   FROM $FIRST   .          TO          .
CONFIRM Y !
!   DO
!
! ON PGMST PVSLOG## PROCST          CODES >C0000 U****  S***   JFAIL
A/O   * !
!                                   CODES
!
!   DO IFRERUN   FROM SORTLOG1 .          TO          .
CONFIRM Y !
!   DO
!
! ON PGMST PVSLOG#2 PROCST          CODES >C0000 U****  S***   JFAIL
A/O     !
!                                   CODES
!
!   DO IFRERUN   FROM PVSLOG#2 .          TO          .
CONFIRM Y !
!   DO
!
! ON PGMST ANYSTEP  PROCST          CODES *****
A/O   * !
!   DO SYSOUT    OPT C PRM E
FRM R !
!   DO SYSOUT    OPT R PRM
FRM   !
!   DO
!

We expected Control-M to propose "SORTLOG1" and "PVSLOG#2", resp., as
the
steps to restart on in the restart confirmation dialogue. We were
astonished
to see that "$FIRST" was proposed instead.

The manual is not too specific about this. We understand that the "ON
PGMST"
are worked sequentially, i.e. top down. Therfore, we expected the
step-specific
IFRERUN to override the ANYSTEP IFRERUN, but it seems the latter is
stronger
than the former.

Does anyone have more insight in how ANYSTEP, $EXERR, $FIRST and
step-specific
instructions related to each other?

--
Peter Hunkeler