From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Barbara Nitz
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:35 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: ONTOP?

>Now we have no source, but we have a
>powerful support mechanism in place, and the situation has (at least
>somewhat) reversed. The skills now are in collecting appropriate doc,
>getting it to IBM quickly, and supplying other relevant information to
>Level 2 clearly and factually. Not just anyone can do that.

yeah, and don't forget that the oh-so-skilled 'support center' only goes
down a checklist on what docs to collect for a certain component, which
doesn't mean they have a clue about what is needed. And don't forget that
many problems will never get fixed, since the oh-so-skilled 'support center'
has no clue how to read a dump, either.
I really don't want to count the times when I have bashed the oh-so-skilled
'support center' over the head with the dump showing them where to find the
basics (favourite excuse: The data are not in the dump. - yes, they are, you
just have to know where to look!).
Next-favourite excuse: This is the wrong type of dump. (Wrong for them -
they cannot read an sdump!).
Next excuse: 'We need a dump'. Then why the hell are they delivering their
product with JCL that effectively prohibits the writing of a meaningful
dump??? (Read: they put sysudump *and* sysabend dump cards into the JCL and
then wonder why they don't get a system dump. Telling them to accept an apar
to fix their lousy delivery usually magically gets someone involved who can
do something with the 'dump' they wrote.)

As for ontop: It used to be a great tool, effectively shortening the time it
took to look at a customer problem. By the end of the last millenium, the
support-centers were more and more refusing to use ontop (which meant
logging on to a customer system to access the dump), on the pretext of 'we
cannot use our tools in your installation'. IBM demanded more and more to
have the dumps sent to them, ftp'd, as it were.

The HLQ ontop (and the system mcevs1, which used to be located in Mainz) are
relics from the nineties. They have just been kept because they give a good
reference to the actual PMR number. In fact, many customer installations
also had/have the HLQ ontop defined. We still do.

Barbara