From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: ONTOP?

This is actually a crucial and timely topic. To paraphrase Bob Rogers, How
do you do what you do when you're a sysprog? Back in the day when we had
access to IBM source code, when there was not much of a Support Center in
place, on-site dump shooting was a valuable skill. If sysprogs couldn't do
it, they had to call in a PSR. Now we have no source, but we have a
powerful support mechanism in place, and the situation has (at least
somewhat) reversed. The skills now are in collecting appropriate doc,
getting it to IBM quickly, and supplying other relevant information to
Level 2 clearly and factually. Not just anyone can do that.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services