---------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------

I'm afraid I disagree.

Because you are confusing the DSCB with the blocks written in the
dataset.

What it proves is not that the DCB on DASD was overwritten by the one in the JCL, but that the DCB in the JCL was incorrect/incompatible with the one on DASD.

Why would you get an I/O error if the DCB information on the DD
statement did not take precedence over that in the DSCB?
I must agree with Shmuel here. Just because the Format-1 DSCB provides a set of attributes does NOT mean that the data was necessarily written with those attributes. Granted, the exceptions are not all that common, but they do occur, usually when somebody codes incorrect attributes on a output DD statement that modifies the content of the dataset.

In my last shop, coding DCB information on an output DD statement that wrote a member into an existing PDS was a severe no-no.

Sometimes it's acceptable to code overrides when adding a member to a PDS, but those instances are few and far between. They should be avoided, especially changes to the RECFM.