You cannot have two 'logic sets' - one for output and another for input. If output hits no I/O error then input hits no I/O error. Otherwise your single assertion, applicable both to output and input, is flawed - because it has two possible outcomes. It is 'along the lines of' asserting that: if apples then 2 + 2 = 4, if oranges then 2 + 2 = 6.