In <4e397247.7070...@bcs.org.uk>, on 08/03/2011
   at 05:07 PM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>The absurd consequences are that 'FB,90' records would have to be
>read  as 'FB,80' records and the last record in the block padded with
>X'00's

That is not a consequence, absurd or otherwise.

In <4e3975b7.4030...@bcs.org.uk>, on 08/03/2011
   at 05:22 PM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>You cannot have two 'logic sets' - one for output and another for
>input.

WTF is a "logic set"?

>If output hits no I/O error then input hits no I/O error.

Non sequitor.

>Otherwise your single assertion, applicable both to output and
>input, is flawed - because it has two possible outcomes. It is
>'along the lines of' asserting that: if apples then 2 + 2 = 4,
>if oranges then 2 + 2 = 6.

Only in your imagination.

In <4e3a19f7.8070...@bcs.org.uk>, on 08/04/2011
   at 05:03 AM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>My Collins English dictionary

Has generic definitions, not terms of art.

>(2) to supersede or annul;

Which is exactly what the override (forward merge) in OPEN does.

>As your interpretation seems to be the only one that matters

Liar.

>But I maintain that my assertion is correct within the context of my
> interpretation of the word "override".

Perhaps in your world dogs have 5 legs.

>The difficulty in arguing a point here is that the English
>language is itself ambiguous and imprecise,

No, the difficulty is that although IBM has provided precise
definitions for various terms of art in its software, you insist on
inventing your own.

>I 'misunderstood' only that assembling etc. a DCB, or substituting
>one  JCL parm for another, are examples of the correct meaning of
>"override":

ROTF,LMAO! You misujderstood a lot more.