Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

In <4e392bb7.7080...@bcs.org.uk>, on 08/03/2011
  at 12:06 PM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

NO NO NO again. What I did was prove by 'reductio ad absurdum' that
if  the premiss/assertion "On input, the order of override priority
is program DCB -> JCL DCB -> dataset attributes" is true then its consequences are absurd:

You proved no auch thing.

I proved that, if "On input, the order of override priority is program DCB -> JCL DCB -> dataset attributes", then the consequence is an I/O error - which contradicts the hypothesis that the priority order both on output and on input is the same (because there is no I/O error on output, but there is an I/O error on input - yet both should complete without I/O error if the hypothesis is true), and contradicting it completes the proof: the hypothesis is false..

To finish this off. It is *not* valid to argue that 'this' overrides
'that', if 'this' having overridden 'that' results in 'this' not
working  unless it happens to be equal to 'that'

Nobody was arguing that. What they were arguing was that:

1. The documentation doesn't match your prejudice

It is not 'my' prejudice, but what one of the greatest MVS sysprogs I've ever known (he too had 30+ years experience, then) taught me when I started as a sysprog on IBM mainframes in '85 - and I have found that which he said then to be true ever since. The documentation does not necessarily match the facts - and the I/O error is a fact..

2. The code doesn't match your prejudice

Forget 'my' prejudice. You mean the program's DCB code? I'm not disputing that. I'm rejecting the hypothesis that it overrides, in the sense of 'prevails over', the attributes of the dataset on DASD.

3. The way that overrides actually work is useful

'Useful' is subjective: what is its objective equivalent?