From: Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: CAMLST LOCATE and SCRATCH

On 8/10/2011 7:50 PM, Scott Ford wrote:
> I need a little help, maybe a lot of help. I wrote an Assembler routine that
> is able to locate a dataset
> non-racf, non-sms and the routine finds it fine , no problem. When I go to
> CAMLST SCRATCH it
> i have a S0C1 it looks like in dfp...So here is my<snippet>  of my source
> showing LOCATE and
> Scratch. The input dsname in coming in off SYSIN...

You should not be getting an 0C1, but rather an error message.

1) You may use the same physical CL44 field for all requests, using the same
name in the CAMLSTs.

2) SMS data sets are funny; you may only think you have a non-SMS data set? You
need to look up the messages and the error codes. I prefer to use a DELETE
(non-VSAM) statement with IDCAMS. You may LINK or ATTACH to IDCAMS passing it a
SYSIN/SYSPRINT exit list; in the SYSIN exit you return the DELETE statement(s),
then end of input. In the SYSPRINT exit, you choose whether to print or ignore
the text given to you. It's a little more overhead, but well worthwhile. The
information about the exits is in a figure, not the text, so some types of
reader don't show it at all. If you want sample code, let me know.  Also if the
LOCATE returns a MIGRAT as the volume serial, you can use an HDELETE statement
to get rid of the data set without a recall.

3) SCRATCH may need an OVRD parameter.

4) The 0C1 at location 52 means that you tried to do an I/O (GET, PUT, etc.) to
a closed DCB. Your fragment doesn't show a DCB for SYSPRINT, nor the OPEN and
CLOSE statement; and if you have those, you could be missing the DD card.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT