(sorry for being late joining in)

IMO, no one would ever use SYNCH(X) unless they had a functional reason to
do it.
If you have the address of something, you would typically simply BASR to
it (or something similar).

One functional reason is for authority-decreasing. I believe that it can
be correctly stated that SYNCH(X) is the only authority-decreasing
mechanism truly supported by z/OS. Note that I intentional wrote "z/OS".
Authority-decreasing can be accomplished by PC too (and there is nothing
that the operating system can do to stop you from doing it) but I suspect
that there could be potential system integrity holes in doing so).

RTM uses SYNCH(X) to move from supervisor state to the state needed by an
ESTAE-type recovery routine..

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design