I agree. And with z/OS, it's even worse than other. Windows is just a
pile of shit that management understands why so many techies are needed
to keep it running. We run z/OS with 3.5 (manager is a techie part of
the time). We maintain much more of the company core business than
Windows. But it's invisible because it "just works". So management looks
at the z as a place to get rid of people because "they aren't needed".

I actually like UNIX. Well, I like Fedora 15 on my PCs. More than I like
TSO. I also like CMS more than TSO. I like a sharp stick more than TSO
<grin>. Of course, running "batch" reports is not as good as with z/OS.
I don't know of much in UNIX which can really match even 50% of CA-7,
CA-11, and CA-1. But I admit to ignorance of what is generally available
in UNIX for this type of thing.

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 18:36 -0700, Dale Miller wrote:
> OK, so we squabble, and disagree, but it is my belief that this
> community has in its membership many of the giants who built a
> technological marvel that underpins our society today, or at least
> would do so if
> management could be induced to extend its event-horizon beyond the
> current fiscal year, and to start counting real costs. Most of us have
> plied our trade in an environment where an unplanned outage or
> functional failure were simply not to be allowed. Because we built
> systems to perform well and reliably, we were invisible, except when
> we made mistakes. I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing the almost-
> every-day complaint from a clerk in a store that 'the computer isn't
> working right today'.
> I believe that we should be getting the word out that computers don't
> have to act this way, and that we know how to build systems that
> behave properly. We certainly face an uphill battle against the mind-set
> among management that leads them to set unreasonable requirements for
> job descriptions and set the salary schedules far below current going
> rates. It really gets my goat that they use these machinations to
> spread the lies that they cannot get skilled IT personnel. See
> http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052970204422404576596630897409182-lMyQjAxMTAxMDIwNDEyNDQyWj.html?mod=wsj_share_email
>
>   .
> I retired when I could no longer put up with the asininity of company
> politics, but if I wanted to continue in my chosen career, I would
> certainly undertake to build my skills in database, communications,
> and UNIX, however distasteful that might be. I could go on for hours
> about the poor design features of UNIX and current email and internet
> protocols, but if I needed a job, I would swallow my pride and start
> hitting the books.
> Of course, with the current political climate regarding Social
> Security and Medicare, I might have to go back to work. Perhaps I
> should have made larger private investments, but then maybe I would
> have invested in Enron, AIG, Lehman Brothers, or Bernie Madoff.
>
> Dale Miller

John McKown
Maranatha! <><