This is an interesting thread.

I listened to a webex by a Dr. at IBM entitled "How to reduce mips ..." It
was a great run at the techie numbers of server versus z196 /  z114 hybrid
computing with customer examples.  I'd love to see more like it too.  If
you send me a note off line, I'd send the power point.

Chip Grantham  |  Ameritas  |  Sr. IT Consultant | cgrant...@ameritas.com
5900 O Street, Lincoln NE 68510 | p: 402-467-7382 | c: 402-429-3579 | f:
402-325-4030

Linda Mooney <linda.lst...@comcast.net>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
10/25/2011 10:24 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Our community strengths

Hi Steve,

I frequently run into people who remember the IBM ad about the servers
being stolen, but they have really been consolodated onto the one
mainframe.  There weren't any follow on ads about how well that worked out
for the company, nothing with the worried and frightened looking boss
happliy going over the balance sheets, looking good at the customer
meetings, getting promoted for his vision, winning recognition in the
local community  for going green.

I am often reading one of th e fine manuals on transit and when folks look
curious, we chat.  Most say that they thought that the mainframe was gone
now - they don't hear anything more about it.   They are always surprised
to hear about some of the mainframes here, in my area, and the kind of
work they do.  That IBM ad seems to be the last thing that many of the
public has heard about mainframes. For all of the efforts any of us make,
if the public isn't informed, and encouraged, they aren't going to go to
work and talk about how they heard, saw, read that mainframes were more
reliable, better suited to critical services, etc.

With the z196 and z114 now in play, where are the marketers?  It is
insufficient for t hem to market only to the relative few who already
know.  The Super Bowl is coming soon.  I'm hopeful, but I'm not holding my
breath.

Thanks,

Linda