On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:05:05 -0600, Tom Marchant wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:23:05 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>>>There is no requirement that the elements that are
>>>replaced during RESTORE come from a PTF that contains exactly the
>>>same elements that are in the PTF being RESTOREd.
>>>
>>Read again.  He didn't say "a PTF"; he said "a set of PTFs".
>
>Ok.  He said "a set of PTFs in the PRE/SUP chain that contains all the
>Elements (and only them)".  That is not what SMP/E does.

He was elliptical as well as ungrammatical (there's no plausible
antecedent for the pronoun "that").  I take at least the latter
as an indication that he was struggling to express what he had
correctly observed.

Let me give an example.  Suppose after I have APPLYed PTFs
A, B, and C in sequence I detect a bug.  I'd like to isolate the
causing PTF.  So I do what is necessary to RESTORE C and
test again.  The bug is still there.  So I'd like to RESTORE B
and test yet again.  But I can't because in order to RESTORE C
I had to ACCEPT B, and now it can't be RESTOREd.  This
is terrible; it's a deficiency in design.

Your assertion, "That is not what SMP/E does," is not a refutation
of Robert's complaints and mine, but a confirmation that it
fails to support needed function.

-- gil