On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:37:42 -0600, Tom Marchant wrote:

>>Let me give an example.  Suppose after I have APPLYed PTFs
>>A, B, and C in sequence I detect a bug.  I'd like to isolate the
>>causing PTF.  So I do what is necessary to RESTORE C and
>>test again.  The bug is still there.  So I'd like to RESTORE B
>>and test yet again.  But I can't because in order to RESTORE C
>>I had to ACCEPT B, and now it can't be RESTOREd.  This
>>is terrible; it's a deficiency in design.
>
>You didn't have to ACCEPT B or A.  Indeed, in the example that
>you gave, it would be foolish to ACCEPT A or B.  What you should
>have done in that instance, assuming that A, B and C all modified
>some of the same elements, is to RESTORE A, B and C, then apply
>A and B.

I would be ecstatic if I could tell SMP/E in a single brief command
to do whatever is necessary to eliminate C but leave A and B in
the status quo ante.  And, by the way, optimize the aggregate
operation so load modules affected by A or B but not by C were
not relinked.  If this were possible, I'd ACCEPT only the base
FUNCTION and roll back to any service level I desired.

And, by the way, it should be possible even if C has ++DELETE.
Why not?  "Because the SMP/E Reference says you can't" is
not a satisfactory answer.

Look; I could create a new target zone, and from the existing
GLOBAL zone, assuming no required PTFs had been purged,
install into that new target zone all the PTFs through A and B,
omitting C:

    SET BOUNDARY (NEWTZON) .
    APPLY PTFS EXCLUDE( C ) .

SMP/E has all the required data and metadata; it just stubbornly
refuses to do it in the original zone.

-- gil