Frank,

Thanks for reporting back.
One request is there somehow to paste the results so they match up with the headers ?

Ed

On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

Several good ideas given.

My sysprog installed BLSR and I got very good results:

Without BLSR:
-
                              -----TIMINGS
(MINS.)------
-----PAGING COUNTS----
-STEPNAME
PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP
CONN
TCB       SRB
CLOCK          SERV
WORKLOAD  PAGE  SWAP   VIO SWAPS
-PROC01
STEP01      00  1123K
1121K
.83       .11
23.2       1599506  TSTBAT
0
IEF404I
ICM06F - ENDED -
TIME=16.43.46
-ICM06F
ENDED.
NAME-ICM06
TOTAL TCB CPU TIME=      .83 TOTAL ELAPSED TIME=
23.2

With BLSR:
CSR020I
BUFSI=1024, BUFSD=20480, BUFNI=10, BUFND=256, HBUFNI=0, HBUFND=0, SHRPOOL=14.
DDNAME=ICMMSTR
CSR022I
STRNO=16, ACB RMODE31=ALL, RMODE31=ALL.
DDNAME=ICMMSTR
+CSR021I
ACB CONVERTED TO USE VSAM LSR.
DDNAME=ICMMSTR
-
                              -----TIMINGS
(MINS.)------
-----PAGING COUNTS----
-STEPNAME
PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP
CONN
TCB       SRB
CLOCK          SERV
WORKLOAD  PAGE  SWAP   VIO SWAPS
-PROC01
STEP01      00  10704
3532
.04       .00
1.1         73844
TSTBAT       0
0     0     0
IEF404I
ICM06F - ENDED -
TIME=16.55.07
-ICM06F
ENDED.
NAME-ICM06
TOTAL TCB CPU TIME=      .04 TOTAL ELAPSED
TIME=   1.1
23.2 minutes versus 1.1 minutes. 1,123,000 EXCP versus 10,704 EXCP.

BTW, to Steve Comstock, there is no AIX on this file. Just a 17 byte key where the first byte is the "record type" ('0' - '5') and the remaining 16 is the 'actual' key in the format appropriate for that particular record type.

The idea of putting the record type at the end rather than the beginning is an interesting idea. Unless there's some way of doing that without having to change any programs I don't think we'd want to take the time. However I am interested enough to try it with this one program and see what effect it has.

Thanks!
Frank