Frank,

It is terrific that you are getting an improvement with BLSR.

I suspect you are using a vanilla copy of an example in the BLSR manual
similar to Peter Farley's example in his post. The problem is these parms do
not get the best performance from BLSR.

The missing value is DEFERW. This is explained at
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA5J600/3.1.1?SH
ELF=iea2bkb3
<http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA5J600/3.1.1?S
HELF=iea2bkb3&DT=19940301112926&CASE> &DT=19940301112926&CASE= about three
quarters of the way down the page. Using Peter's example I would suggest you
should use:

//MYKSDS   DD  SUBSYS=(BLSR,'DDNAME=MYKSDS#','RMODE31=ALL',

//             'MSG=I','BUFND=256','BUFNI=10' DEFERW)

//MYKSDS#  DD  DSN=HLQ.MY.KSDS,DISP=SHR

If you do omit DEFERW a CI will be written to the KSDS every time you update
it. It will stay buffered for a read buffer hit, but if you update 100
records in the CI you will write that CI 100 times. Not a huge problem for
most modern DASD, but if you are running synchronous remote copy it will be
painful. With DEFERW an updated CI will written when the LSR algorithm
decides it is no longer active enough to remain in the LSR pool. You'll also
see an unusual effect where all changed CI are written to KSDS at end of
job.

DEFERW also helps the performance of sequential inserts that do not use SIS,
and CI and CA splits. It's an often omitted must-have for BLSR.

NB it's a good practice to set BUFNI to the number of records in the Index
component of the KSDS, plus 10%. Again based on the example, if you have a
three level index with 11 index set records your sequence set will pollute
the buffer hits on the low level index set records (the high level index set
record is probably the most touched CI in the KSDS).

Ron

is the

> 'actual' key in the format appropriate for that particular record type.

> The idea of putting the record type at the end rather than the beginning
is an

> interesting idea.  Unless there's some way of doing that without having to

> change any programs I don't think we'd want to take the time.  However I
am

> interested enough to try it with this one program and see what effect it
has.

> Thanks!

> Frank

> For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email

>  <mailto:lists...@bama.ua.edu> lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO
IBM-MAIN