On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:10:59 -0300, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <shmuel+ibm-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/22/2006
>   at 10:16 AM, Charles Mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>>Was it Gene Amdahl who said the biggest mistake of the 360
>>architecture was the 24-bit addresses?

snip!

>I wouldn't call that the biggest mistake, however. When the S/360 came
>out virtually all of the major players had some sort of hardware
>address relocation, whether block relocation, paging or segmentation.
>Even IBM had paging in the laboratory. The use of absolute addresses
>shocked me more than the address size.

Amdahl didn't believe in virtual memory.  It seems like he would have
anticipated the need for it, with the 360/67 already out, but the
original design for the 470/6 (IIRC) had to be stopped while they
added virtual memory support and changed the name to 470V/6.