From: "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 7/19/2006 12:23 PM
To: "IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU" <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Why is zSeries so CPU poor?

<snip>

> I doubt that IBM could remove generally documented machine
> instructions or system services. The JVM is allowed to call
> JNI (Java Native Interface) routines, written in any language
> (usually C), which are allowed by definition to use any
> operating system services and any machine dependent features.
>

> Jeffrey D. Smith

If so, then I wonder what causes a "machine check" when you try to IPL
z/OS on an IFL. Yes, I did it out of curiousity. And I know that an IFL
is not a zAAP. But it is another "speciality engine" (I think that's the
term IBM uses). I have read that some things cannot be handled by a zAAP
such as timer and I/O interrupts. There must be something "special"
about them to disallow this (or maybe the control regs for the processor
are set to disable them, I guess is a possibility).

Then the question becomes: Does the JVM tell the z/OS dispatcher move
the work from the zAAP to a general CPU while doing a JNI call? Or does
it leave it on the zAAP? I don't know. If it leaves it on the zAAP, then
I'd really push to "wrap" a lot of COBOL code as a JNI from Java. I
could then run the majority of my applications on a zAAP and get some
nice performance!

--
John McKown

I can only venture a guess that it is similar to a nullifying
program interrupt occurring for a "disabled" machine instruction.
The operating system sees the special program interrupt and schedules
the unit of work for redispatch on a CPU that has it installed. The
original crypto (and I think vector) instructions had a special
nullifying program interrupt X'01xx' that caused redispatch on the
correct CPU.

I haven't a clue when the operating system decides that it's ok
to move the work back to the original CPU.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Farsight Systems Corporation
24 BURLINGTON DR
LONGMONT, CO 80501