McKown, John wrote:
Since we are recalling the past, IIRC there was some CPU designed and
manufactured to natively execute p-code. It didn't really make a very
good showing in the market.

To be totally off topic: I really liked what I read about the Intel iAPX
432. Built from the ground up to be object oriented only.

http://www.sasktelwebsite.net/jbayko/cpu7.html

it was '79? or '81? asilomar acm sigops conference (i've lost my proceedings over the years and don't have ready reference) .... the 432 guys gave a talk. i remember them mentioning was that a lot of multiprocessor operation was hidden by the hardware ... you past process units to the "hardware" ... and it kept track of how many processors there were and which processes ran on which processors. it was interesting since i had done something similar for m'code '75 for VAMPs ... a 5-way 370 smp project. ... misc. past postings mentioning VAMPs project:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#bounce

today it would be considered slightly analogous to what happens with LPARs.

The other thing they mentioned in the sigops talk was that all this high -level function was dropped directly into 432 silicon ... and there was no way of patching it ... short of shipping brand new silicon. That characteristic was enuf to doom 432. i've got 3 old 432 intel books http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000f.html#48 Famous Machines and Software that didn't

the above post lists the following i432 books (in my basement) ... along with quote from one of the intros mentioning b5000 from the 60s and also referencing s/38

Introduction to the iAPX 432 Architecture (171821-001) copyright 1981, Intel
iAPX 432 Object Primer (171858-001, Rev. B)
iAPX 432 Interface Processor Architecture Reference Manual (171863-001)

there have been some number of other past discussions comparing 432 and s/38 (aka as/400 precursor) ... as well as s/38 embodying several "FS" features
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

attached from long ago and far away (talking about vamps smp work from 1975). i had done dynamic adaptive resource management for cp67 as an undergraduate in the 60s and then rereleased the "resource manager" for vm370 on 11may76.