I agree that the term "open system" has been flagrantly misused, primarily
to promote Unix systems at the expense of "proprietary" systems like z/os
and Windows. I think the idea that Windows is open was put forward by
Microsoft precisely to counter this pro-Unix marketing ploy. And IBM's
response of course was MVS Open Edition, and later Linux.

One company I know used to define open systems in terms of the
interoperability of programs, data, and people. Most Unix programs can be
ported to other Unix flavours; in Unix a file is a file is a file; and if
you are comfortable using one flavour of Unix you'll usually convert to a
different flavour pretty quickly. But you can't move to someone else's
Windows or z/OS, or rebuild Windows or z/OS for a different platform. So
they're not "open".

I suppose we should think of open hardware and open software separately.
Anyone is allowed to build an "IBM-compatible" PC, but not an IBM-compatible
mainframe. I guess anyone is also free to build an Intel x86-compatible
processor (as AMD have done), or an AMD64-compatible processor (as Intel
have done). But don't dare try to build a z/Archtiecture processor.

Nigel