There I was, looking into the teeth of a serious ice storm, any my
company laptop dies. I have a generator and satellite telecom so that
part was covered. But the laptop was a single point of failure between
me working from home or risking life and limb having to go out in the
storm. The prospect of driving over roads covered with ice and idiots
gives me gas.

The failure was in the encryption software.

The techs tell me the encryption software has been almost trouble free.
Almost. And failures are rare. But they happen. When there is a failure,
they can almost always recover the data. Almost.

I don't have any numbers, but my sense is that only one of a hundred
laptops have suffered data loss. One percent.

Now, laptops pose an extraordinary level of risk and some hard nosed
encryption is arguably mandatory. That is not the point of this rant.

Is it possible that mainframe encryption can guarantee perfection? Or
will we see about the same thing: loss of one percent of the most
mission critical data in the shop? Or one in a hundred critical
datasets?   Is the mitigated risk worth the loss?

Gives this old sysprog pause.

intended exclusively
for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message, together
with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying,
disclosure
or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete all copies.