/snip/
Encryption software "failing" is somewhat vague. Did the software
generate incorrect cipher text? Did the software incorrectly
decipher the data using the correct key? Was the key lost or stolen
or exposed or improperly expired?

Symmetric (secret) key encryption, like DES or AES, is very reliable
with respect to correct encipher/decipher operation. The main issue
is key management: How to generate strong keys, securely store those
keys, and associating the keys with the protected data? It all boils down
to having a clear master key somewhere that unlocks all of the other
keys. Even the IBM hardware encryption with tamper-resistant master key
protection needs to be reset sometimes. That means the master key (or
the pass phase used to generate a master key) must be written down somewhere
(and physically protected) so that the security administrator can re-enter
it into the hardware. Without the central master key, all other keys are
inaccessible (not decipherable) and thus the encrypted data is unavailable.

Asymmetric (public/private) key encryption is only viable for exchanging
encrypted symmetric keys, because the algorithm is computationally
intensive and far too expensive for high volume encryption traffic.

Physical deterioration of encryption silicon may occur over time, just
like deterioration and failure of main memory or logic circuits or hard
drives. That's why encryption devices self-test with known answers and
internally check their results.

I've heard that some hardware encryption devices may perform the
encryption 3 times per block of data and compare the results for a
perfect match. The process is repeated until a perfect match of
the 3 results or until a time-out occurs (machine check interrupt).

A properly designed encryption device will detect bad results and
not expose incorrect results outside of its secure boundary. I don't
worry about the bitwise accuracy of encrypt/decrypt results. I worry
about key management, because it's the central point of failure. If
your keystore is on a harddrive that fails, then all data encrypted
by those lost keys is inaccessible.

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation