Mark,

As long as we have a valid license key we will not look at the key data
set.  Once you enter a warning period we will go to the data set looking
for a better key to use once an hour.  It is possible to force the sort
to go to the key data set by passing the KEYUPDATE parameter to the
sort.  This is useful if you install a new key and want to make sure
that it gets into use immediately otherwise it could take up to 1 hour
for the new key to get put into use if you are in a warning period.

This whole area is a bad one.  There are valid points to be made on both
sides.  ISVs should be able to collect what is rightfully theirs.  With
just about every product that I know about the customer has agreed to
the licensing terms up front.  At the same time, if the process required
to abide by the terms of the license agreement are such that it is not
worth it for customers to use the product, they will go else where and
the ISV will end up with less revenue not more.  It is up to each ISV to
decide how they want to manage their license agreements and up to each
customer if they are willing to agree to the terms.  I agree that not
all ISVs handle license keys as good as they should but at the same time
there are others that do a reasonable job in this area.  Just because
some vendors don't do a good job doesn't mean that everyone with a
license key is bad and should be avoided.

We have tried to be as flexible as possible.  Our first attempt at
implementing license keys was not flexible and was not well received.
We listen to our customers and tried to accommodate as many of their
concerns as we could while still feeling that we were getting something
of value for the time, effort and aggravation that having license keys
requires.  When IBM announced License Manager several years ago we made
it clear very quickly that we were interested and would participate.  We
understood the value of having a common process for handling license
keys but unfortunately License Manager did not make it.

Sincerely,
John Reda
Software Services Manager
Syncsort Inc.