-- snip --
> VSM (and VTS) offer simple, application independent duplication for
> disaster recovery purposes. When you change jobs from using virtual tapes
> to real tapes you have to look at how you're going to duplicate the
tapes.
> It's one reason to try to keep all your tapes virtual.
[...]
It's one of the reasons to use HSM or FDR to make duplex copies. It costs
no more CPU cycles, it fills up the tapes, it utilizes more channels (it's
not a problem IMHO).
If you want to write to tape directly... well... WHY do you want it?
-- snip--

With most installations it's purely historical. The big data sets went
directly to tape, the smaller ones went onto DASD and were then processed
by HSM (or similar). With DASD prices now cheaper and still dropping, I
agree with you that there shouldn't be any need to write directly to tape.

Why VSM/VTS and not HSM. Well, one reason is that handling duplicates in
HSM requires manual intervention. When a primary tape goes bad, you need to
activate the alternate and then ensure that you produce another duplicate
of this tape. All quite simple, but still manual. When a virtual tape is
bad (due to a bad real physical tape), it's all handled under the covers as
far as HSM is concerned. No need to screw around with primary and
alternate. You do need to invest more in the size of your VSM/VTS and maybe
that is reason enough not to do this.

Also, implementing high availability is a lot easier when the duplexing is
application independant.

-- snip --

BTW: The biggest VSM/VTS advantage I in my opinion is the number of drives.
It's important in multi-LPAR installation.

-- snip --

That's true, but it is also important to size your VSM/VTS properly to
ensure that residency time is long enough for your virtual tapes and that
the tapes get migrated to the backend in a timely matter.

John