On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:40:16 -0600, Rick Fochtman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I can't help but wonder: when a purchased storage array device is
>decommissioned, are all those little drives of any use for PC
>replacements? What sorts of interfaces do those drives require? (E)IDE
>or SCSI of SCSI-2 ??

Some of them are SSA; some SCSI. Some newer ones are FC. They show up on
eBay quite regularly, at prices varying from a few bucks to hundreds. They
generally don't sell at all at any price. Search eBay with keywords SSA DRVC
for some examples. You can find PCI SSA interface cards if you look around,
so they are not impossible to use on a PC. (When searching, it's usually
wise to include negative keywords of -Social -Security and -Administration,
for reasons that quickly become obvious, even to a non-American like me.)
You'd also need suitable data and power connectors and cables, none of which
are compatible with anything else on the planet, and none of which are easy
to find or cheap.

So really, what's the point when you can buy a shiny new SATA drive with
better specs, a warranty, and vastly more space, for a couple of hundred bucks.

>(I might be able to pick up an old 2105-F20 for the cost of a rental
>truck. It's currently at 1.2 TB)

Someone with an MP3000 or the like might be happy to have it.

Tony H.