that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-mai,alt.folkore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (, IBM Mainframe Discussion List) writes:
> Around mid-1999 EMC signed a multi-$billion contract to buy a HUGE number  of
> little disks from IBM over a period of several years.  So IBM was making
> disks then.  And I think that contract expired about half a decade  ago.

san jose plant site (disk unit) now belongs to hitachi. most recent,
hitachi talking about selling off the unit.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007v.html#33 Hitachi, Silver Lake in talks about
hard drives, sources say

a few other references
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#9 IBM says AMD dead in 5yrs ... --