From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ron Hawkins
Sent: 18 Januarie 2008 06:07
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Flash memory arrays

John,

I'm not sure I agree with this. If your comparing so-called "enterprise
class" array price with "modular class" systems then it is not a valid
comparison.

Assume a barebones DMX4, DS8K or USP-V with no software products except
basic element manager and microcode. If the only difference is Fibre
Channel
or FICON connectivity then I don't believe there is any considerable
difference in price.

The conversion from CKD to FBA is done in the PCB carrying the Host
ports.
For HDS it is simply two Microprocessors per FICON port pair, and they
are
usually considerably less busy than the MP that they hand off to.

Comparing any of the Arrays that support MF with "Modular class" SCSI
storage is oranges and apples. Modular storage is a one trick pony -
there
is not enough grunt to ever consider running XRC, Flashcopy V2, HUR or
SRDF/A. If you built all those capabilities into modular storage you
have a
price much higher than rack and stack market. It's not CKD that pushes
up
the price, it is the functionality of the box.

I have never heard anyone complain that Mustang cost more than a
Moped...

Ron

> Hum, I see your point. My "concern" is the ongoing discussion around
> here as to why z/OS DASD costs more per gigabyte than the Windows or
> Solaris DASD. The reasons, as I see it, are two fold. First, the
vendor
> must write, validate, and support the emulation software on their DASD
> array. Second, the vendor is "gouging" the z/OS shops "because we
can".
> OK, the latter is cynical of me.

Elavon Financial Services Limited
Registered in Ireland: Number 418442
Registered Office: Block E, 1st Floor, Cherrywood Business Park, Loughlinstown,
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Directors: Robert Abele (USA), John Collins,  Terrance Dolan (USA),  Pamela
Joseph (USA), Declan Lynch, John McNally, Malcolm Towlson
Elavon Financial Services Limited, trading as Elavon, is regulated by the
Financial Regulator