Hi all

I want to send senior management a chargeback report each month - not actually
to chargeback but to illustrate in pounds and pence what we're doing on the
mainframe. Partly I hope to show that, overall, we're cost-effective per
business transaction compared to some of the other processing platforms, etc..
and also to show the development people on a job-by-job basis what their "big
hitters" are and identify targets for efficiency improvements etc (we're toying
with the idea of signing up for sub-capacity licensing).

Presumably I should use SMF type 30 records as a basis for this (rather than
RMF records?) Would you use the values for CPU seconds, or those for service
units? Regardless of which, do you take the totals of these, or just the CPU,
SRB, etc?

In arriving at a cost per CPU second or per Service Unit, What sort of
financial "inputs" do people typically use? Our z9 was only purchased just over
a year ago, so I assume the capital cost of that, written down over a period of
years, should factor, plus the annual software costs and initial purchase
prices, but also people costs..??

What about disk/storage usage, do you factor those in too?

Sorry, probably a big topic, I know.

If anyone's got any pointers to manuals or documentation on this sort of thing,
I'd also appreciate it.

Cheers!

Brian