I don't havean pointers to books or documentation but I can make a few
suggestions.

I would use CPU seconds rather than Service Units. Managers can understand
that there are only 86400 CPU seconds per engine per day. If you can get the
price paid for your z9, take 1/4 of that and divide by 365*86400 to get a
price per CPU second. This would recover the cost of the z9 in 4 years. You
can adjust this later depending on how quickly your management changes
processors.

You can do the same for DASD to get a residency price (pounds/pence per MB
per day) but the scanning of your DASD and assigning ownership is usually
more difficult than the CPU processing.

For real chargeback, TAPE, Telecommunications, PRINT and
backup/disaster_recovery processes should be factored into the bill but that
is too much for any initial reports to management. Leave them out until your
managers promote you to Head of Chargeback with a staff to do the detailed work.

For your initial CPU reports, have two different reports ready, First for
overall management, a report to show what groups use how much during some
time period (consider being able to show usage on different days of the
week). Second for the managers of the individual groups, a report to show
who/what their top users are.

/Tom Kern

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:47:55 +0100, Bri P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I want to send senior management a chargeback report each month - not
actually to chargeback but to illustrate in pounds and pence what we're
doing on the mainframe. Partly I hope to show that, overall, we're
cost-effective per business transaction compared to some of the other
processing platforms, etc.. and also to show the development people on a
job-by-job basis what their "big hitters" are and identify targets for
efficiency improvements etc (we're toying with the idea of signing up for
sub-capacity licensing).

>Presumably I should use SMF type 30 records as a basis for this (rather
than RMF records?) Would you use the values for CPU seconds, or those for
service units? Regardless of which, do you take the totals of these, or just
the CPU, SRB, etc?

>In arriving at a cost per CPU second or per Service Unit, What sort of
financial "inputs" do people typically use? Our z9 was only purchased just
over a year ago, so I assume the capital cost of that, written down over a
period of years, should factor, plus the annual software costs and initial
purchase prices, but also people costs..??