John,

Buying single user licenses is probably the most expensive way to get SAS
for Windows. If you have 5 people that will use SAS then get a five user
license.

If a single user license is all the budget can take, then a method I use
with my team is to load SAS for Windows onto a fairly heavy duty PC and
Remote Desktop to it. One immediate advantage is that compute intensive SAS
procs run in the background without slowing up your desktop/laptop. We have
plenty of licenses, but it means we don't have to run the big stuff on our
laptops.

It also means that person #2 can very easily take over from person #1.
Person #2 just uses Remote Desktop to get to the Workstation when person #1
is away. You can also share time on the same workstation as SAS can run
multiple sessions. If Person # 1 is halfway through something, person # 2
can take the workstation and start a different SAS session without killing
off person #1's work in progress.

If you company has blade servers than it may be easy to get blade for
yourself and load up XP, SAS and MXG. I've been using iSCSI to HDS 9500 rack
& stack storage, and the FTP access method to read SMF directly from the
z/OS LPARs. No Fibre Channel and no File transfers required - just a PDB
served on a platter.

If you get pricing make sure you get the SAS for Windows pricing and not the
Server version. The price difference is substantial.

Oh, and once you have used the GUI on SAS for Windows you will never want to

Ron