Unfortunately, if you find the old CMS JAVA, I'm sure it will NOT use IEE
E floating point. A decent
CMS Java Virtual Machine with a JIT would perhaps run very well. But who
is going to write it? It's
not going to come from Sun/Oracle. Sun doesn't even provide one for the M
acintosh -- Apple
does. There are a heck of a lot more Macs than copies of CMS.

I don't know whether CMS JAVA truly supported multi-threading, though, wh
ile Java does. Could
lead to problems porting Java to CMS. Does anyone know?

I gather that with NetRexx, Mike Cowlishaw tried to fix the mistakes in R
EXX. At least he replaced
do/end with loop/end. (For the looping cases of 'do'.) In other ways he s
ignificantly enhanced
REXX. I don't think NetRexx is upwardly compatible with REXX, though.

I suspect there are far more programmers literate in Java than in REXX. P
erhaps not among
mainframers, though. Does anyone know how much NetRexx is used in z/OS?

My employer's standard language is Java. Another strike against CMS.

Alan Ackerman

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:38:35 -0700, Barton Robinson <bar...@vm1.velocity-
Software.com>